Saturday, October 29, 2016

Just a thought, Oldie vs. Trendy

Having been writing blog for sometime and most of the time I have been trying to keep posting a weekly basis, this would be my last post before taking a long break. Writing blog does give pleasure of sharing experience. Of course, some are great, some are enjoyable, and some are unacceptable. Living in the world of social media nowadays, I, personally, do often feel somewhat uncomfortable despite writing the blog.

Thus, I have come to decision that this post would be my last blogging for now before returning in the future. Just need sometime off really. More time on dining table with beloved one and family with flashing photos. Of course, there will still be one or two for instagram and things like that. Anyway, for this blog I will be comparing a few of those the local has enjoyed for long while the trendy stuff has as well penetrated the market especially for those young generation. All of which are Tubtim Krob @ Wongwein Yai, Strawberry Cheesecake Kakigori @ After You, Coconut Ice-cream of Pa Na @ Hua Ro Market in Ayutthaya, and Tiramisu Soft-serve of Kiss the Tiramisu @ Siam Square.


First of all, it is Tubtim Krob at Wongwein Yai. Tubtim krob has long been one of favourite desserts for generations. These ruby like water chestnut are just crisp and sweet and when combined with a touch of syrup and coconut milk, it is just awesomely delicious. I, personally, can go on and on with this dessert meal after meals. However, it seems to be freaking hard these days to find a good store/stall that sells nice one. Just when I was a kid, a nice tubtim krob can be found like within the neighbourhood.

Anyway, this one at Wongwein Yai is a famous one and is just wonderful. Love the freshness and crunchiness of water chestnut. The sweetness of syrup is just right. Having along with salim or coconut is equally pleasant. Going there can be difficult but this is not a hurdle for me at all when I feel like one.

P.S. They also serve vermicelli with fish curry and soft-boiled egg (Kanom Jeen Nam Ya).

Tubtim Krob (THB40)

water chestnut, salim, and ruby water chestnut


For Strawberry Cheesecake Kakigori at After You, I have to say that this might be the only one at After You I would actually eat. As posted a long while ago, After You has never been my choice of dessert. With those toast soaked with yakky melted butter and ice-cream that is full of esters aroma, I will never touch it. But this kakigori is another story in my view. They do it much nicer that others. The ice flakes are creamier and with more flavour. If there is more of the strawberry sauce, it would be more balance. By the way, kakigori is just shaved ice in Japanese. You may also find the word Bing Su in Korean shop. But if you go on street food in Thailand, it would simply be Nam Kang Sai (น้ำแข็งไส). They are all the same word but just different marketing terms.

Anyway, at the price of THB235 (if I recall it correctly) for just shaved ice and strawberry sauce is way too excessive in my view, not even counting in the long queue you will have to encounter. For me, I surely rather go for 8 of tubtim krob than just a bowl of this shaved ice. But it has been a trend in Thai for the last year and still now. You can find it anywhere. Wish the younger generations will realise the goodie of old time local food.

Strawberry Cheesecake Kakigori (THB235) 

If ones have been following my blog, facebook, or instagram, they would recognise that I am one of the ice-cream lovers. Back in May when I had a chance to visit the old capital of Thailand, Ayutthaya, I did not hesitate to search for a nice ice-cream stall. Indeed I did find one at Talad Hua Ro (Hua Ro Market) which sells the classic coconut ice-cream: Pa Na.

Na is the name of the owner and Pa means Aunty in Thai. This ice-cream stall is just a tiny corner in the market. There are perhaps less than 10 seats for you to sit while enjoying your treat. At the price of THB30, you get a delicious cup of coconut ice-cream with your choices of topping. My favourite would have to include sticky rice and candied palm seed definitely. If you want to go for a more rustic one, have them on bread. Surely classic and heavenly delicious. The best parts of Pa Na Coconut Ice-cream are just everything. The ice-cream is creamy and yummy. The toppings come in variety. The local atmosphere is priceless. Everyone is friendly. Hey, THB30 for coconut ice-cream is expensive??? Hell no for me. It is a treat for me.

Coconut Ice-cream Stall of Pa (Aunty) Na @ Ayutthaya

Coconut Ice-cream with your choice of topping (THB30)

Coconut Ice-cream on Bread (THB25)

Now it comes to a posher side of ice-cream. The Korean brand, Kiss The Tiramisu, offers just one choice (as far as I'm aware of at the time of tasting): Tiramisu Ice-cream of course. However, they recently offer Banamisu flavour also. Suppose it is banana flavour. The cost of savouring this Korean soft-serve would be THB159 for one. Good god!!! THB159 and it does not even satisfy me. Ok, it is not that bad, enjoyable at a certain level. But please, it is tiramisu, not vanilla soft-serve with a dash of chocolate flavour. Oh, did I miss out the coffee part. No, I did not. I barely sensed the coffee bit when eating. Give me back my THB159 pleaseeeeee.

Kiss The Tiramisu @ Siam Square

the owner must really love Mary Poppins in my view

its soft-serve with filling to resemble tiramisu: Tiramisu Ice-cream (THB159)

shaving in the chocolate

Anyway, the point I would like to make here is nowadays we seem to forget all those nostalgic goodies and tend to be lured with those pricey fancy stuff. Personal opinion, I have to make it here. Not trying to discredit anyone here but purely pointing out that the local food can be equally great and at a more realistic price. Just don't forget them before they are no longer available.

Well, wish everyone enjoy their savouring. I will surely do. Sometime may be in any restaurants. Sometime may be strolling around on streets finding the best kept secret. Travelling the world to search for local culture could also be. Sipping Barolo while typing facebook can be a regular activity or swallowing in glasses of Burgundy somewhere on earth. Instagram with glasses of Champagne in someone backyard. Surely most of the time, dining either opposite or by the side of Deadly Bunny. Or even grilling my own steak, tossing pasta, blending soup, or baking something in my tiny orange kitchen. Bon appetite to you all till we meet again.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tubtim Krob @ Wongwein Yai, Bangkok
184 Thanon Lat Ya
Khlong San
Bangkok 10600
Thailand

Open Hours: daily from 08:30am - 08:30pm
Tel: +66 (0) 2438 2118

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Pa Na Coconut Ice-cream @ Talad Hua Ro, Ayutthaya
Tha Wa Su Kri
Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya District
Ayutthaya 13000
Thailand

Open Hours: daily from 09:00am - 01:00pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Kiss The Tiramisu @ Siam Square Soi 3, Bangkok
258 Siam Square Soi 3
Pathum Wan
Bangkok 10330
Thailand

Open Hours: daily from 12:00pm - 09:30pm
Tel: +66 (0) 91 562 9956
FBhttps://www.facebook.com/kissthetiramisuthailand/


3 comments:

  1. Hi, I will be travelling to Bangkok in June, do you have some 'must eat' restaurants/places that you recommend?
    thanks
    charlie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your concept. I appreciate your efforts. Looking forward for more blogs .

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips