Sunday, March 6, 2011

After You: Dessert Cafe @ J Avenue, Thonglor, Bangkok

Cuisine: Dessert (Japanese Style)
Price: THB150 per person (what I paid for)
Visited: 5 March 2011
Food: 2/10
Atmosphere: 4/10
Value for Money: 1/10
Services: 5/10
Overall: 3/10

At the end of parking space on the ground floor of J Avenue (opposite SeenSpace, Thonglor), Thonglor is where After You: Dessert Cafe situated. This is a tiny cafe, with ~ 25 seats, serving variety of dessert inspiring from Japanese style dessert which is ranging from simple cakes and cookies to the signature dessert "Shibuya Honey Toast". The cafe is simply decorated with wooden tables and chairs, while the decor of ordering counter is enlightened with menu board in hand written font. To travelling here, the most convenient way is by driving (parking at J Avenue). However, coming here with BTS is also one of the choice. But you will need to take a taxi from BTS Thonglor Station, otherwise 10 - 15 minutes walk.

After You: Dessert Cafe @ J Avenue

Having come to After You, I must certainly try the most famous dessert here, Shibuya Honey Toast. However, the portion is rather large, I decided to order a mini version. This dish was simply a big piece of oven roasted toast with layer of butter in between and on top with vanilla ice-cream and honey syrup. The toast was too oily and the taste of butter was really bad. Honey syrup was just sweet with strange scent, felt more like sugar syrup with honey odour additive. Coming the worst part, the vanilla ice-cream, it tastes like a cheap ice-cream from a supermarket. No scent of vanilla, not creamy but icy, all I could taste was just sweetness. A poor dessert I must admit (2/10).

Honey Syrup

Mini Shibuya Honey Toast


Coming along was Queen B Fudge Cake. This was a little better than Shibuya Toast. No need to mention about the ice-cream part as it was the same. The fudge cake was a chocolate fudge cake with marshmallow filling in the middle layer. The texture was decent but the taste of chocolate was poor. The chocolate fudge tasted just like those chocolate dip with bread stick you can find in any supermarket (2/10).

Queen B Fudge Cake

The last one was Choco Banana Pancake. Nothing fancy for this dessert but everyone favourite pancake with vanilla ice-cream and banana. The pancake was flavourless and dry. The best bit of this dish and perhaps the best part from this visit was the banana (1/10).

Choco Banana Pancake


Apart from a lovely service and friendly atmosphere, I personally find this place really unattractive. Nothing I tried here delicacy at all if I am not mistaken, otherwise there must be something wrong with my tongue. If I have to go back to this After You again myself, I rather ride a frog all the way to France to have something much more delicate.

After You: Dessert Cafe @ J Avenue, Thonglor, Bangkok
J-Avenue Soi Thonglor 13 (Soi Sukhumvit 55)
Sukhumvit Road
North Klongton, Vadhana
Bangkok, 10110
Thailand

อาฟเตอร์ยู: ดิสเสิร์ทคาเฟ่ @ เจ อเวนิว ทองหล่อ กรุงเทพ
เจ อเวนิว ซอยทองหล่อ 13
ถนนสุขุมวิท
แขวงคลองตันเหนือ เขตวัฒนา
กรุงเทพ 10110

Open Hours: 09:00am - midnight daily
Tel: +66 (0) 2712 9266

5 comments:

  1. Totally agree with the ice cream. Lucky that when i was there, the toast was quite nice. I am personally not impressed by this place but your review is a tough one :) Last time I tried the lava cake there too, so disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a chance to try the lava cake too last year and my heart just dropped to the ground at the first bite. Especially the chocolate filling, it tasted just like it had been mixing with some bad butter. Agree with your comment too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am interested in working together. Take a look at what I have done and I'll do the same
    honey onyx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried the their Honey Toast and the ice cream was awful, kind of cheap brand! The butter on the toast was something like, magarine ? Taste weird ! Their prices were getting more and more expensive as time goes by. I wonder why the Thais flood to this place, mayB this is the palate of the Thais ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say it is the "trend" thing but a trend that seems to pursue for a long period. Often it is not possible to find reasonable explanation here in Thailand. But yes, I do agree that it is very expensive for what you get at this place.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips